Thoughts of changing course in life or diet, transforming life, and cleansing ring inside and out. Many express the desire and some need to change, transform, cleanse. It is fall, nature and the body are giving signals of slowing down and releasing the results of the growing season – leaves turning color and falling to the earth. And friends, practitioners, and local communities are gathering to participate in cleansing. The focused necessities of what we eat, what are we going to eat, what supplements are we going to take to support our cleanse are missing one vital component.
How are you going to vitalize the fire for the cleansing process?
Do you know the state of your digestive fire (Agni)? or the transformative fires of all the tissues in your body that you are focusing your cleanse toward? Without a strong vital fire, anything you take or any diet you choose to follow will make minimal results at best.
I highly recommend you take care of and nourish the fire inside.
Traditionally the Hatha Yoga system was a system of internal purification and health. Ayurveda is it’s sister science that focuses on lifestyle and diet that are the external realms of purification and health. Through cultivating the intelligence of the body with these, the body has the capacity to digest and transform all “food”. “food” means anything you take in……by mouth, by eyes, by ears, by hands, etc. The transformational fires (Agni) also have the ability to transform all toxins and impurities through its amazing alchemy – just like turning carbon to diamonds, lead to gold. The incredible wisdom of the Ayurveda and Hatha Yoga systems honor this and have a very effective way to stimulate, nurture, and stabilize the internal fire, Agni.
Please inquire if this resonates with your innate wisdom for self healing.
Here are concepts to consider regarding the transformational fire:
Agni, the fire, is dependent on your state of being. A harmonious balance of your autonomic system, your emotional and mental stability, and your ability to negotiate/tolerate the stressors that you encounter every moment of your life are key factors for mind and body healing.
- Consider your ability to eat, digest, assimilate and eliminate. If you are in fight/flight/freeze mode of functioning in daily life you ability to perform any of these functions is severely diminished. Discernment, identifying what is appropriate for you and what is not is a function of the fire. If the body is unable to discern or digest, the undigested “food” is stored as toxins, or ama, usually in the form of fat. This can be the observable fat in the belly, around the belt rim, in the legs and arms as “cellulite”, and unobservable places such as in the organ (such as a fatty liver), and the bone marrow (as yellow marrow) limiting function of the system. Fat is the most stable substance, and the body can be trained to store and pack it away. The good thing is with a harmonious nervous system, the body can be redirected to burn and transform the fat; caution as the elimination process which requires fire, is necessary for the “release” of the toxins from all aspects of your mind and body.
- Consider your state of stillness. Constant movement significantly affects the above functions. Movement is not just physical, as our emotional stability is essential – “e”motion. As one of my clients stated “Emotions are like a moving truck going downhill, once you get it moving it is sometimes hard to stop, especially when it is loaded.” Movement is associated with wind. What does wind do to a fire? Wildfire!!!! or lets put it another way…..Burnout!
One of the best stances is Goat Pose for cultivating stillness. Click here to read about it.
- Consider your ability to stay grounded, rooted in your center. The bones, especially of the legs, allow us to maintain spinal stability, balance and supported. If the nervous system senses it is not supported, it will pull the supportive tissue systems up to create stability, producing tension in the mid and low back which significantly disturb the fire. The leg bones also pull the fire downward, through the grounding force, apana vayu. Apana vayu, one of the subtle winds in the body, governs the health of the digestive fire, pulling it in a downward direction for proper digestion, assimilation, and elimination.
See article on digestive fire.
- Consider your tolerance to stressors. We adapt all the time to stressors. Our body has incredible capacities. And we have a threshold to the amount of stressors we can adapt to. This is a given threshold at birth. Some of us have more of a threshold than others. The key is to not go over the threshold, which is a state when the body begins to degenerate, and signs and symptoms of a dis”eased” body show up. You can prevent this with many modalities such as self care routines, working with a practitioner on supportive preventative means of health and well being, a routine practice such as Yoga, and of course the cleanse you are ready to embark on. See article on the body’s adaptability.
- Consider the driving force in your body – Prana. Where you direct your attention, your mind, your senses, your intention . . . . Prana will follow. Prana is the driving force of life. AND it is in service to the transformative element of fire, Agni.
Feel free to download The Fire
From an Ayurvedic perspective all physical dis-ease (diseases) have their root cause in disturbance of Agni (S.Blossom). As stated by Dr. Robert Svoboda – “it is the condition from which all other disease conditions arise. In a sense indigestion, the inability to digest any physical, mental, or emotional input, is the sole disease of living beings. It usually begins in the mind as an “offense against wisdom” and is projected from the mind into the physical body.”
I wish you well in your transformative cleanse.
If you wish to recieve guidance Please inquire.