Access your Health & Up-level your Fitness/Performance through the Power of the Breath & Movement
At the core of my perspectives on health is the ability and knowledge to:
- readily access your health capacities from your feet up as a wholesome pursuit,
- employ meaningful and progressive exercises in movement and the breath that can maximize your potential,
- and integrate your potential in all activities of life, over your life span.
The care and guidance I offer is founded in bringing awareness, or a felt sense, to what matters for your recovery, health, fitness and performance. The potential for the mentioned above is in movement and the breath, and are individually unique to your make up, your daily life activities and patterns (or habits) and your pursuits or desires. The foundations of a successful health, fitness or training program is also tailored to what capacities you want to be able to do the things you want to do. The best programs accomplish more than pain management….that’s just the beginning of you having fun and living the best you want to be. Great programs address what you want to do, not what you are trying to avoid. Keep going beyond pain relief and you will discover far more than what you thought was possible.
Knowing and understanding what you need to focus on requires knowing what you want and then discovering what is in the way of achieving that. Just wanting to be stronger in your legs for example, and doing some video exercises someone did, leaves many over time unsatisfied and often more at odds with their body than before they started. You only receive what you truly need from personal assistance that can skillfully assess, implement, modify when needed, hold you accountable, give proper coaching on right effort, be there with the right support when there are setbacks, and through the process to champion you success. And finding that partner in your health and fitness journey is not easy, and I get it – it’s hard to find good help these days when there are so many directions you can go. What I’ve learned from years of being on foot in wilderness is:
- have a detailed map and a reliable compass;
- get to know the terrain and ask well-seasoned mountaineers (all backpackers in mountains are mountaineers) in the area you are interested in;
- test your condition before your adventure – body and gear
- plan well in advance – body and gear
- aim high, and be less interested in shortcuts (especially on switchbacks);
- starting off on the right foot (with good feet) is essential;
And this can be translated into the journey of rediscovering your health and your potential.
With over 30 years of experience as a –
- physical therapist in most realms of care (hospital – neurotrauma, orthopedics, intensive care, wounds; clinical outpatient care, sports and wilderness/altitude performance),
- movement/mobility specialist (functional movement and integrative whole-body potential),
- physiology specialist (breath, nervous system, cardiovascular and cardiopulmonary function and performance),
- endurance athlete (long distance triathlons, ultra-distance running, multi-day adventure racing, recreational long-distance hiking/backpacking),
- health, fitness & performance coach/consultant (long-distance exploration and racing, altitude performance, optimizing movement for the long-distance achievements),
I have a passion for helping people find and experience the greater potential hidden inside themselves through movement and the breath. Over these 30 years integrating cutting edge methods and informed through good research in the clinic and the lab, I am confident I can deliver a trusted tailored program. I feel confident I can help you access greater potential and develop your capacities with the best possible exercises and skills. And if I can’t I will help you find someone who can.
The how-to’s are the value of a good guide. It’s the art of exercise. If an exercise was meant to help all, it would provide that to all…..and we all know that is not the case. Understanding you, and getting the most from your program requires you as an individual with your strengths, capacities, habits and blind spots. You will come away with more than just doing something with me. You will have developed skills and capacities that will carry you beyond the rehabilitation, beyond the adventure – into life for the long trail.
Hike Long & Prosper is my motto.
Are you interested in:
Accelerating your recovery, health and fitness? Having full access by moving and breathing optimally for who you want to be?
I’m interested in working with you.
You have things you want to do that bring you alive….bring you happiness.
And all activities for healing, fitness and performance have standards in movement and breathing.
Check out this article to understand more.
Having access to your capacities and resilience allow you to achieve your great things!
That is what is available through a tailored program geared toward you.
– Shawn M Flot, Physical Therapist, Movement & Breath Specialist,
Cert. Oxygen Advantage® Instructor
Classes, Workshops & Courses
THE BREATH’S POWER
The Oxygen Advantage method of functional breathing exercises and physiological stressors combined with a different incorporating movement pattern monthly.
Ascending New Heights –
Prime Readiness & Resilience for Hikers, Backpackers, Trekkers & Thru-Hikers
Executive and Employee Programs for Productivity, Creativity & Resilience in the workplace
Hatha Yoga –
In-Person practice in Ashland, OR
Programs in Anatomy, Physiology & Energetics of the Practice
The best guides don’t take you to the top of the mountain, but they do help you know how to get there. This is the know-how, so you can accomplish your goals. There is no need for self-improvement. There is only addressing where the potential is hidden and how to cultivate your capacities. My role as your guide is to discover what is essential to your progress through a movement and breathing perspective and give you the best guidance possible.
- A Whole-Body approach incorporating Movement & Breath (physical & physiological potential).
- Practiced & Tested over 30 years of guiding clients to exceeding expectations and sustainable performance.
- Practical, Meaningful & Progressive to your goals.
- Effective & Efficient – Quality over Quantity so you have more to put toward your active life!
- Tailored to you, not someone or something else’s (Insurance/Doctor)
- Time-saving = $$$ Saving….you can do things in everyday life, not separate and time consuming. There are many cost-effective opportunities beyond being in the clinic to progress and succeed.
My only interest is helping you know how to get to where you want to go. To find the essential ingredients in developing the best plan toward your achievements. My focus is to address what’s necessary, meaningful and effective that unlocks your possibilities. Don’t be satisfied with the narrowly focused guidance that has no meaning or long view possibilities. Your best life is beyond managing your symptoms and limitations. You have potential if you know where to look. Join me and Let’s GO!
Practical Movements that impact your Body-Mind’s capacity:
* Enduring Strength & Power
* Fluidity & Flexibility
* Balance & Coordination
* Fitness, Agility & Optimal Performance
Skillful Breathing Practices to enhance your capacity:
* Breathe Light (Biochemical)
* Breathe Deep (Biomechanical)
* Breathe Slow (Cadence/Coherence)
* Optimize Performance with Physiological Prowess
* Enhance your Sleep and Exercise Quality